Journal Your Way to Create Positive Change
Jim Rohn states, “If you’re serious about becoming a wealthy, powerful, sophisticated, healthy, influential, cultured, and unique individual, keep a journal.”
Thinking in writing has this magical quality of clarifying your thoughts.
Journaling helps lighten the weight on the heart when there is turbulence. It helps us hold on to some of the fundamentals that will keep us grounded and stable so we continue to make progress on this journey called life.
More importantly, journals give you a record of the progress you’ve made toward your goals to keep you motivated in the long slog of actually reaching them.
Are there Health benefits of Journaling?
Who would have thought that there are short and long-term health benefits of putting pen to paper?
Here are five good-for-you virtues of journaling:
1. Reduces Stress. An overabundance of stress can be damaging to your physical, mental, and emotional health.
It’s proven. Journaling is a incredible stress management tool, a good-for-you habit that lessens impact of physical stressors on your health.
In fact, a study showed that expressive writing (like journaling) for only 15 to 20 minutes a day three to five times over the course of a four-month period was enough to lower blood pressure and improve liver functionality. Plus, writing about stressful experiences can help you manage them in a healthy way.
Try establishing journaling as a pre-bedtime meditation habit to help you unwind and de-stress.
2. Improves Immune Function. Believe it or not, expressive writing can strengthen your immunity and decrease your risk of illness. Those who journal boast improved immune system functioning; it strengthens immune cells as well as lessened symptoms of asthma and rheumatoid arthritis.
Expressive writing has been shown to improve liver and lung function and combat certain diseases; it has even been reported to help the wounded heal faster.
3. Keeps Memory Sharp. Journaling helps keep your brain in tip-top shape. Not only does it boost memory and comprehension, it also increases working memory capacity, which may reflect improved cognitive processing.
4. Boosts Mood. Want more sunshine in your life? Try journaling. A unique social and behavior outcome of journaling is this: it can improve your mood and give you a greater sense of overall emotional well-being and happiness.
5. Strengthens Emotional Functions. Related to mood is how journaling benefits overall emotional health: As journaling habits are developed, benefits become long-term, meaning that diarists become more in tune with their health by connecting with inner needs and desires. Journaling evokes mindfulness and helps writers remain present while keeping perspective.
It presents an opportunity for emotional catharsis and helps the brain regulate emotions. It provides a greater sense of confidence and self-identity. Journaling can help in the management of personal adversity and change, and emphasize important patterns and growth in life.
Research even shows that expressive writing can help individuals develop more structured, adaptive, and integrated schemes about themselves, others, and the world.
What’s more, journaling unlocks and engages right-brained creativity, which gives you access to your full brainpower. Truly, journaling fosters growth.
Who would have known that journaling after weight loss surgery could be you “little” secret to lasting health and wellness and to changing your old habits and patterns. With all the benefits this economical yet powerful practice can bestow upon you, the science is truly compelling.
With weight loss surgery, the communication between gut and brain is influenced and journaling reinforces these positive changes to make them a permanent part of the “new” you.
The journal is designed specifically to assist individuals on a weight loss journey. Creating a New You takes you on a 24 week journey and breaks it into 6 week intervals so that you can work on one habit at a time and build on it.
Try our latest wellness journal
“Creating a New You”
Journal your way to lasting health and wellness AFTER weight loss surgery. Go ahead and give it a try … you have nothing to loose but your weight!!
And as a special thanks to my community, you get a 10% discount at checkout if you use the code MGS10. (For a limited period only)
Dr Arun Dhir